Monday, June 16, 2008

Proud Mama Moment



One of the perks of being a mom is bragging about your kids, right? Well, I am proud to announce that my son is a MN ATA State Champion. He took 1st place in Sparring and 3rd place in Weapons!!! Way to go Chris!!!!

This is the card I made him to congratulate him on his amazing achievement. I am really hoping that the next Stampin' Up! catalog has a karate set in it. In the mean time, I found this adorable stamp at Hobby Lobby in Mankato, MN. Isn't it cute????? I just had to have it!!!!

Here are the "deets" on the card:

The base card is Basic Black. I used my Big Kick and a Cuttlebug embossing folder on a piece of Basic Gray cardstock. This is mounted on a slightly larger piece of Real Red cardstock.

I added a band of More Mustard cardstock (the same width as the Basic Gray layer). A length of narrow Whisper White grosgrain ribbon is wrapped around all layers before adhering to the base card.

The focal image is stamped with Black StazOn ink and colored in with SU markers. The image was cut with my Coluzzle and matted on a scallop circle cut with my Nestabilities.

The sentiment is from a retired Stampin' Up! set called Just So Sayings. I've been using this set a lot lately for my cards. I am glad that I decided to hold onto it!!! I stamped the sentiment using Black StazOn and punched it with my Large Oval punch. This is matted on a piece of Real Red cardstock punched with the Designer Label punch. I love this effect!!!

I am happy to report that Chris loved his card!!!

Way to go Chris!!! We are SO proud of you!!!

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Patti
What a great card!!! My sons both do TaeKwonDo and I know how hard it is to find any type of martial arts type stamps. Do you know who is the maker of the stamp? I would love to get my hands on it. Unfortunately we do not have a Hobby Lobby here in FL, but next week we will be traveling to WI for the AAU TKD National Championships and perhaps I can find time to look there!!! Thanks for sharing and congrats to Chris on such an amazing job!!!

stampersim said...

What a cute card. I LOVE that stamp!!! I, too, hope SU has a karate set in the catalog. My daughter (she'll be 15 in a few weeks) is testing for her black belt on July 29 (while I'm at convention ... can you believe the horrible timing?? I am praying that belt ceremony will be AFTER I get back - usually it's the week after testing). Congrats to your son !!!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable card!! The colors are great and the CB layer is perfect! Congratulations to DS! I know the hard work and discipline that you need for this sport. My DD also did TKD and was 2 months away from testing for her 2nd degree BB when she had had enough.(She was 14 and wanted to run track and pole vault) She was told the door would always be open for her to come back and finish.

Lynn said...

This is super cute!!! Congrats to your little guy for his accomplishments! I like the way you layered the oval over the designer lable punch.

Tiya-B said...

What a special card- great looking and for a great reason.
Congratulation,Chris, congrats proud mom.

Connie Fossenier said...

Congratulations on your son's accomplishments..The image is too cool. Awesome job on the entire card.
Connie Paxman